Sunday, May 8, 2011

Choo chooo

Well, I'm off to Valencia today. I'm taking the AVE, Spain's high-speed train, which will get me there in about two hours. I'm using up one of the extra days on my Eurail pass that my parents so graciously treated me to.

Eurail passes are really awesome if you're planning to travel around Europe. The catch is, you have to buy them before you come to Europe; they are specifically for tourists. They mail the pass to your U.S. address.  You don't necessarily have to plan out your exact trips, just how many days you are planning on traveling and what countries you will be traveling in. You can go ahead and make reservations beforehand online, or make them at train stations in Europe if you want flexibility.

I was able to weasel my way around the lack of planning ahead by having a pass delivered to my parents, who brought it over when they visited in March. I got a joint Spain-Italy pass, so I used it for my Spanish adventures with the parents and Italian galavanting with Aunt Jan.

Anyways, if you're considering roaming around Europe anytime in the near future, I'd recommend looking into these passes. They seem to end up being a lot cheaper than buying individual tickets, especially for the high-speed trains. Oh and did I mention there are youth discounts?

In the mean time,  I've got a train to catch. I need to make it to Valencia in time for lunch. I hear they have really good paella.

No comments:

Post a Comment