Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Hey, neighbor

In the spring, the landscape of Madrid transforms completely. Blooming trees line the sidewalks with green; restaurants move all their tables outside; and ice cream stands pop up on every street corner.

The result is a warm atmosphere that invites everyone to come live on the streets. And thanks to this outdoor-focused life that promotes neighborhood camaraderie, I've finally accomplished my life goal of becoming a "regular" somewhere. At the snack stand on the corner closest to my apartment.

A man with a beanie runs the stand, which offers ice cream, drinks, and other munchies. I stopped spontaneously to get a water bottle a couple weeks ago, and as I paid, he smiled and said, "You're the runner. You run well."

It made me so happy that he recognized me, and his 1.5 liter water bottles for only 1 euro are a total bargain, so I started going back whenever I needed a refill. Even if I'm not buying anything, we wave as I walk past (which I do every time I leave the house) and say "See ya later!"

The best part -- now when I make the turn towards the park on my runs, he throws me a giant thumbs up! It makes me feel like I'm running a road race every day. It's funny how simple things like being friends with your neighbor can brighten your day.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this post, Please know that where ever you go in your life your AD2 will always be sending you two thumbs up!! Happy day to you! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is the cutest thing i've ever heard! what a sweet little man

    ReplyDelete