Friday, May 6, 2011

Donezo.

Do not be alarmed. "Donezo" does not mean this blog is over. It just means my finals are! I'm officially done with my junior year of college, which is slightly disturbing. Before I distract myself with last-minute Madrid fun, I'm going to take a few minutes to reflect on the semester.

Though studying can be strenuous, I actually found myself more mentally fatigued out on the streets this semester. Speaking and listening in Spanish can be tiring.

Though a learned a TON of things inside the freezing classroom -- from contemporary Spanish politics and cinematographic techniques to phonetic symbols and proper pronunciation -- I learned even more outside of the classroom this semester. For example, I now have the knowledge of:
  • How to read a map.
  • Just how short I really am. (Seems like all of my pictures are angled up these days.)
  • What a tremendously huge influence Jesus/religion has had on the world.
  • How much I love breakfast. (Deprivation of real breakfast has been rough.)
  • The importance of making a budget. (Particularly when dealing with all cash.)
  • The difference between Gothic and Romantic style architecture.
  • Communication is more than just verbal language. (Body language = so useful.)
  • The true definition of "walking distance." (Hint: It's actually farther than across Vanderbilt's campus.)
Here are some of the wonderful friends I've made during my semester abroad. This was unanimously voted our favorite picture after our weekend "Sleepless in Barcelona."

Over and over though, the most basic lessons and epiphanies I've had in the past four months go back to the basics of Kindergarten. As my mom always tells me, being nice to people is one of the most important things in life. Love and friendship are super important, which is why I am excited to go back to the United States in eight days -- even though I've formed some great new relationships here, I can't wait to see my old friends and family, too.  

1 comment: