Tuesday, March 8, 2011

America in Spain

Given the awesomeness of the United States, it is inevitable that many of its influences have made their way across the Atlantic Ocean. There are a few places in particular where I feel American ties that help me cope with homesickness.

Music: Sometimes I forget I'm in Spain when I'm dancing at discotecas or shopping in stores, because almost all the music they play is in English -- directly off the iTunes top 100. It makes me feel cool in clubs as I sing along because it's the one time I actually know what the words are saying better than everyone else.
 
Movies: Spaniards hate Spanish movies -- we even read an article about that in one of my classes. Virtually all of the popular movies are American, just translated into Spanish. Hollywood reigns supreme, as a lot of theaters even play the original versions in English. American celebrities are plastered all over the cities -- from Jennifer Anniston on the movie ads to Scarlett Johanson on the fashion ads.
 
Restaurants: McDonalds, KFC, and Burger King are the most popular American fast food restaurants over here. Yet they aren't really fast food -- there are no drive-thru windows (though a couple have walk up windows where you can get food to go on the sidewalk), and the atmosphere is much more of a sit down restaurant. The food seems like better quality and it's more expensive in comparison to other places. I haven't tried a hamburger yet, but the McFlurries are wonderful! My favorite part is that you can get them with caramelo :)

The real escape back to home lies in "The American Store" around the corner from my apartment. Here they sell all the American favorites including peanut butter, marshmallows, and pancakes. I haven't bought anything because the prices are ridiculous, but I enjoy running by the window every day and thinking about home. They just changed the display in the window to be Easter-themed with a bunny, painted eggs, Sprees, and Kool-Aid.

No comments:

Post a Comment