Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Calle Espiritu Santo

If I could live anywhere in Madrid, it would hands down without a doubt be on Calle Espiritu Santo. Just around the corner from a great market, two minutes from the Metro, and running distance from Retiro Park, the location is clutch. But the real attraction to the street lies in its spirit, just as the name hints. It's got a trendy vibe that welcomes young people, yet still feels traditionally Spanish. Here are the top five reasons I want to move in:

5. Alqamaru - El Cafe de la Luna
Sadly, I don't have any good pictures of this artsy cafe "of the moon." As most cafes in Spain are coffeeshops during the day and turn into cocktail lounges at night, this one has great deals on mojitos, and it's a fun place to hang out. I want to go back to try their coffee and chocolates, but they have weird hours. Many of the times I pass by, they are closed up -- hence the lack of pictures.

4. Creperie La Rue
With a wide selection of both sweet and savory crepes, I have a hard time selecting just one from the menu. They are reasonably priced too, and you can get them to-go. From the chairs to the music, everything about the atmosphere emulates Paris. Adorable.
 
3. El Rincón 
El rincón means the corner, which explains a lot about this cafe. It is situated in the corner of a plaza at the end of the street, and almost all the tables are in little corners. I sat in this one above to read one morning -- feeling very Spanish as I enjoyed cafe con leche with churros. There's also a great corner with pillows in the back that is a great lounge for reading.
 
2. Happy Day
This bakery would make anyone's day happier, with it's delicious cupcakes, cookies, and other treats. The "American" vibe with macaroni and cheese, hot dogs, and peanut butter for sale also helps remedy bouts of homesickness. 
 
1. Lolina Vintage Cafe
Lolina holds a special place in my heart. It may be my favorite place in all of Spain. I can't put my finger on it, but I just love the vibe. Above is a picture of my little nest where I wrote a bioethics paper one rainy afternoon. The place is full of great seating, and there's basement with couches and tables, too. The walls and decor follow the "vintage" theme, as does the music -- I love hearing Elvis and other classics. I'm also a huge fan of the women who work there. They look rough around the edges, but they are so nice. I come here literally every chance I get to read and do my homework. Did I mention they give little sugar cookies with every coffee? :)

2 comments:

  1. You are so cute! You would find all of these adorable coffee shops and such. I bet you're fitting in perfectly over there :) Next year, that'll be me. You should go back with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could have walked in that coffee shop and known immediately which "nest" was yours! Glad to see that while you broaden your cultural self, some things about our Laura remain the same! Love you!

    ReplyDelete