Sunday, March 20, 2011

Does anybody know how to say PR in Spanish?

Congratulations to me -- I was the first blue-eyed, female finisher in the 10k road race called XIII Carrera Popular Intercampus. Oh wait, I was the only corredora con ojos claros. Too bad that wasn't an official divison.

I was also the only runner who had a watch that beeped every mile instead of kilometer. Having markers every kilometer was pretty cool -- you don't have that extra 0.2 after the last marker!

My foreign-ness was obvious from the beginning of the morning. Scared I wouldn't understand the bag drop system en español, I hopped out of my apartment in only a t-shirt (with American words, of course) and shorts this morning.  I preceded to get really embarrassed when an entire running team boarded the Metro next to me in matching sweat suits. I wanted to hide from them with my bare arms and legs.

I appreciated their presence when we got off the Metro though, because I'm not sure I would have found the race without them. I followed their smiling faces to check-in tables, where no one asked for my extra identification because it was obvious I was the girl with the last name "Dolbow" amidst the pages of Fernandez and Garcia.

Finding the starting line was a bit of a challenge also. I thought I was waiting behind it, and I was impressed to see that every single person around me was jogging a warm up instead of just standing stationary. After jogging with them for a while, I realized I was on the wrong side of the starting line and hopped over to the right side, where people were just standing around like normal.

When we all took off, I instantaneously felt the rush of my love for road races. I weaved through the crowds as fast as I could, with the goal of passing every girl I saw. Which wasn't too hard since there were only 250 female runners out of the 2000 participants. (In other words, I didn't see many.) Also, I noticed Spaniards have no shame in cutting corners. I tried to run the full course, but I admit I cut a couple along with them. (Gotta immerse myself in the culture, right?) We ran from one college campus to another, passing through a lot of circular plazas with statues and fountains in the middle, in typical Spanish form.

The first few miles flew by, but around kilometer six I started to fatigue. I missed the American crowds and music speakers to give a pick-me-up. My stomach actually felt a little nauseous as I turned the corner into the last kilometer. I guess cereal and room temperature milk was not the best pre-race breakfast, but hey, I'm living in a world without Clif Bars and bagels.

The breakfast wasn't too bad though because to my surprise I actually finished in a new fastest time! (Just a few seconds under 49 minutes.) And luckily my stomach was back to normal by the time they handed me a little cake that had all the ingredients of a Swiss Roll, but in a different order and different shape.

The highlight was when they handed me a finisher's t-shirt! And they even had special v-neck ones for women. (I would like to extend a virtual high-five to whoever made that happen.)

I am so excited to have a Spanish running shirt now, even if it a slightly obnoxious color.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats Laura! I sure wishedpart of my Sunday morning cheering you on as you ran thru Madrid! So glad you had a great run. You will remember I had spent that for your whole life! Just think you will have one of your favorite running buddies with you in just a few days, and also one of your biggest fans too (mom and dad). hope your classes go quickly this week, Enjoy your vistors! Love you and as always so proud of you! AD2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Job! I LIKE the color. I wear it often at Home Depot. And I bet it looks good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this post made me so happy and so so proud of you sole sister!
    and i think the shirt is pretty baller actually-ill be jealous when you wear it on our runs! thats really funny about your watch beeping on the miles too!

    ReplyDelete