Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Step aside Auntie Anne

After my extreme interest in the "leche frita," Mercedes decided to tell me about another typical Spanish sweet that is often eaten during the time of Carnaval and Semana Santa. They are called "torrijas," and they are amazing.

They are made with slices of bread soaked in milk (or wine) and then coated in egg batter. Mercedes bought some special kind of bread that absorbs liquid more easily,

Then it is fried in a pan, with olive oil of course. Then the bread is sprinkled with sugar. Mercedes adds cinnamon also, to my absolute delight.

Interestingly enough, when I translated "torrijas" into English... I got "French Toast." Funny that it's a special dessert here, and a standard breakfast food in America. The consistency was more like the fried milk though, probably due to the special absorbent bread.

This cinnamon-sugar treat would rival Auntie Anne's pretzels any day.

3 comments:

  1. At first glance, I thought this was a fish fry "a la Uncle Charlie"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. would it be better than the cinnamon pretzel in a bag from the movie theater? i would say most likely! this legit looks DELISH

    ReplyDelete