Saturday, March 19, 2011

Spanish Sweet Cece's

I finally went to the market dubbed the Whole Foods of Spain by my tour book. However, I personally think Mercado San Miguel has a leg up on Whole Foods. The walls are all windows, and the environment is the epitome of trendy.  The only reasons I didn't sit down and eat for hours were the steep prices and slightly overwhelming crowds. But I guess that's what happens when a place reaches such a level of awesomeness.

Anyways, I was happily wandering around, mentally consuming counters full of tapas and vino.... and that's when I found it -- the yogureria. Which means the yogurt store. And it was frozen. With toppings. AKA the closest thing to Sweet Cece's I have seen since January.

The frozen yogurt stand in the back corner of the market.

To my utmost dismay, my stomach was filled to the brim with torrijas and my wallet was empty from my spontaneous scarf shopping spree, so I left the market without buying any froyo. But not to worry -- I spent the afternoon working up an appetite and went back at night to taste test.

As expected, it did not live up to the greatness that is Sweet Cece's. They only had original tart flavored yogurt (O.G. as my brother likes to call it). And the toppings were slightly different. Though they had cereal in canisters above, the counter was filled with all liquidy looking substances.

I couldn't find Reese's cups or Lucky Charms as toppings.

I was confused, so I asked if I could sample. The result was actually surprising. I realized the toppings bar was actually an assortment of flavors of hot fudge. My taste buds were very pleased.

A mixture of hazelnut flavored hot fudge and chocolate sauce covered cookie bits that overrode the blandness of the O.G.

In summary -- I am very happy to know that Spaniards get to experience frozen yogurt also, but in the future, I'll be spending my euros at Mercado San Miguel on the tapas, wine, and perhaps pastries. There's no replacing Sweet Cece's.

1 comment: