Saturday, April 30, 2011

April showers bring May flowers

Though this phrase doesn't have the same ring to it in Spanish, it is just as applicable. My streak in running away from this month's rainy weather ended today.

Today I also learned just how awkward it is to walk down crowded sidewalks with an umbrella. Especially at my height -- where I naturally hold an umbrella happens to be right at eye level with other normal people, putting me in serious danger of poking them. So I trekked home for lunch with my arm raised as high as it could go, trying to avoid a lawsuit for accidental assault.

Though it's not really the most ideal weather for my last full weekend in Madrid, it's probably better for focusing on finals. I don't have the distractions of laying in the grass and marveling at the blue sky that I did during midterms. I spent this drizzly morning nestled up in the basement lounge of my favorite café, working on a lit paper and reading a bioethics article. And I actually got a lot accomplished.

Many of my favorite things to do in Madrid are outside, but there are still plenty of back-up options during weather like this.

For example, my friend and I were hoping the rain would hold off for us to enjoy the ambiance of our favorite plaza by eating outside tonight, but if the showers continue to fall, she knows a trendy place in Chueca, the trendy, gay neighborhood, we can go to instead.

Now it's time to enjoy the best Spanish tradition in the rain though -- siesta!

No comments:

Post a Comment