Tuesday, April 19, 2011

You scream, I scream

As you can imagine, I have been enthusiastically exploring the whole Italian gelato concept. The past few days have been filled with licks and licks of divine deliciousness.

From the "world's best" in Rome to a hole in the wall in Sorrento, I do not discriminate when it comes to taste testing this stuff. I'm aiming for as much of a variety in flavors as in vendors. So far some highlights have been caramel merengue, Ferrero Rocher, and crossitini alla nutella.

As I endlessly sigh in joy with the current abundance of creamy bliss in my life, I have to wonder -- what exactly is the difference between "gelato" and "ice cream"?

So I did some research, and it seems like there are three main differences:

1. Fat content. Gelato surprisingly is less percent fat. Score! For the Italians at least.
2. Air content. They are made differently, so ice cream actually contains more air.
3. Temperature served. Gelato is served more at a room temp, while ice cream is frozen status. I think this is the main difference that makes gelato so mind-numbingly amazing. (Not literally mind-numbing of course because there are no brain freezes!)

Gelato has certainly been one of the highlights of my trip thus far, and I feel very blessed to have the opportunity to consume so much of it. But that's not to say it won't dampen my enjoyment of Sweet Cece's or Sunday sundaes at the Dolbow house in the future. In my opinion, all these frozen treats are fantastico!

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment