Thursday, April 21, 2011

The happiest day of my life

Aunt Jan busted out in laughter when I very seriously proclaimed that today was the happiest day of my life, with olive oil dripping down my chin. While the superlative might have been an exaggeration, today was very seriously up there. Today was the day I accomplished one of my only definitive life goals. Today was the day I ate the pizza from Da Michele -- the world's best pizza as described by Elizabeth Gilbert in Eat, Pray, Love.

We took an early ferry over to Naples to ensure I'd have time to indulge in this life dream of mine. We consequently walked thru their doors at 10:40 a.m., and it was like the Blue Grotto. We magically had the whole place to ourselves. It was perfect because the old men who run the place let me come back and take pictures of them making the pizza and cooking it in the wood oven. They were adorable. I wanted to hug each one of them for being so awesome at life.

The menu is very simple. They only offer two kinds of pizza -- magherita and marinara. They also only sell water by the liter, which adds even more to their awesomeness in my book.

We ordered one of each and split. They were both absolutely amazing. The magherita consisted of tomato sauce, mozzarella and basil, while the marinara had tomato sauce, garlic, and oregano (no cheese). The crust was the perfect thickness and cooked the exact right amount... A few brown spots and bubbles, but definitely not burnt. The sauce was also amazing. The tomatoes tasted so fresh. Both were topped with olive oil too, which tasted delicioso. On the same lines as the gelato, the temperature was ideal. It was wonderfully warm, but not so hot that I had to wait to devour immediately upon delivery.

People started piling in around eleven, so I'm glad we had time to leisurely enjoy the pizza without battling the crowd before our train. I enjoyed my last bite via fork.. Because I saw the workers eating the pizza that way in the back of the kitchen. (These guys are my true heroes. Can you imagine eating the world's best pizza every day?) As I stood up, my stomach and soul felt completely satisfied. I don't even want to eat anything else because I don't want to desecrate the wonderfulness that is currently residing inside my belly.

One lesson to take away from this place is the beauty in simplicity. Their two item menu, cash-only policy, and down-to-earth decor all emphasize the point that extravagance really is unnecessary. The whole vibe of the place is just one of serene love for pizza and people. This was by far the most pure pizza I've ever tasted -- I think I will call today my day of Pizza Rebirth.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

4 comments:

  1. and this is why you're my best friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do they deliver? Thanks for sharing this life experience with us! So happy that you are enjoying yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell Aunt Jan her neighborhood said hello.

    ReplyDelete