Wednesday, April 6, 2011

I'm on top of the world

I've been lucky enough see a lot of great views during my time in Europe. Looking down on things is a new sensation for my five-foot tall eyes, so looking down on entire cities is especially exciting. From the Eiffel Tower in Paris to the Alacazar in Segovia to the massive cathedral in Sevilla, I've climbed a lot of steps. I think perhaps my favorite city-top view though was one of Madrid, because seeing a city filled of buildings I know and love made it extra cool. And my bird's eye view of Madrid didn't even require any steps at all.

Rather, I rode the Teleferico. A amusement park-like ride that takes people from Parque del Oeste (my side of Madrid) over to Casa de Campo (another hugeeee park that houses a real amusement park). 

My parents and I boarded one of these little buckets to check out Madrid from a sky view. 

In addition to seeing familiar places from different angles, I discovered some new places in Madrid as well. For example, I learned that the city has a river! 

Luckily the animated cartoon voice was able to explain to me that this is in fact Madrid's only river.

The Teleferico was a really fun experience, as have been all of my elevated views. But from all the views, there's one thing in common. Whether looking out from Parc Guell in Barcelona or peeping over the edge of the gorge in Ronda, one can't help but think -- the world is SO big and filled with SO many beautiful places. 

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Can't wait for us to catch a view from the Chair Lift on Capri!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second your conclusion....the world is full of beautiful things. I am so glad we were able to share some of those sights and experiences with you the last couple of weeks. Our vacation with you was fabulous and we were fortunate to have you as our personal tour guide!!! The views you showed us from inside your heart and soul were the best of all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful ride we had - with awesome views of beautiful Madrid, the lovely and massive Casa de Campo park, and the majestic snow-capped mountains in the distance. Plus a nice rest for our legs before we began our ultimately successful search for the ultimately not-almond convent cookies.

    ReplyDelete