Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Garden of Earthly Delights

So after visiting the Prado four times (all during free entry hours, don't worry), I finally settled down on my favorite work of art there. Sadly, it's not done by a Spanish painter, so I can't give a cool Spanish anecdote about it. Rather, it's done by a painter from a country I visited earlier this semester -- the Netherlands.

Hiernoymous Bosch painted The Garden of Earthly delights in the late 15th century, they think. It's a three-part painting, with a huge centerpiece and two planks on the sides.


I think it's supposed to be a commentary on the temptations of life. The left side represents Adam and Eve at the beginning of Creation when everything was pure. Then the middle is a garden full of nude people, crazy animals, and of course my biggest temptation -- oversized fruit. The right panel then shows hell and judgement for engaging in the earthly temptations.

I don't know why it's my favorite painting exactly. I think the chronology is pretty cool, and it communicates a clear message. It's hard to see a lot of the details in this little thumbnail -- but it's a very intricate painting. It has its own very distinct style, apart from the millions of other pictures of Jesus, which is probably why it caught my attention. 

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting thanks for the posting, I never know that extra large fruit has your BIGGEST temptation. keep enjoying every moment of this jouney you are on. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So was there any chocolate in the painting. If not then sounds like goodnews. We can eat all we want and still go to heaven. Sounds like a clear message to Me!

    ReplyDelete