Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Do you need your receipt?

If you think you'll have to go to the bathroom before you make it home in Spain, the answer is yes. I apologize for discussing bodily functions twice in one week, but at least you know I'm staying hydrated abroad.

In Spanish land, restrooms are strictly reserved for customers only. And by strictly reserved, I mean they are locked and you have to type in a special code to get access.

This minor detail slipped my mind when I was studying in a coffeeshop today. I wrapped up my work, packed my things, and decided to hit the bathroom before heading home. Confused as to why the door wasn't opening -- it was clearly labeled "push," and I was pushing -- I decided it must be a one-person stall that was occupied. So I waited until I saw someone leave, tried to push again, and the door still wouldn't open.

Then I looked the the right and saw the keypad to type in the "PIN" number. In an ah-ha moment, I ran back over to my tray on the trash rack (sorry Dad) and picked up my receipt. Punched in a few numbers and open sesame (or however you spell that Aladdin phrase). Soooo note to self, hold on to those receipts.

To be honest, I've been away from the U.S. for so long that I don't remember if this is customary there too. I don't think so though. I guess Americans have more faith in their customers.

1 comment:

  1. In San Francisco the bathrooms work the same way at some places, I think they do it to keep the homeless people out of them there.

    ReplyDelete