Sunday, April 24, 2011

Window vs. aisle

This morning the Alitalia flight attendant asked me if I would prefer a window or an aisle seat when she was printing out my boarding pass. I used to always think the answer was window hands down, but one time my window seat proved to be a serious hassle when I had to go to the bathroom. I came up with a new formula for myself -- if the flight is less than four hours, window seats are the best.  With longer flights, however, I prefer to be able to just hop up rather than say "excuse me" over randoms' knees in order to use the bathroom.

The flight from Rome to Madrid was only two hours, so I opted for a window seat. I was very pleased with my decision as I looked over the Italian coast during departure. The sky and water were both beautiful this morning. It was a great view. But as we soared over the Mediterranean, I started to second guess my decision. A delay in take-off interfered with my bladder schedule, and I started to wish I was on the aisle for easy toilet access. But once we hit the acres of olive trees of Spain, I was content with my decision again. The views at the end made my bathroom stop worth the wait.

During the flight, I was curious -- what are other people's preferences? So, I invite you to comment and let me know what you prefer on airlines. This is the first time I'm experimenting with an interactive poll, so hopefully people comment :)

PS. Happy Easter!

6 comments:

  1. Ok well I don't really know how to do this comment business..

    I prefer window because I like leaning against it to sleep. And though I feel bad when I have to go to the bathroom, its nice not to have people climb over you (and I like to think they understand that it is not your fault). Sleeping trumps the hassle of climbing over people always.

    xoxo,

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always want to be as close as possible to the bathroom, I almost had a very bad experience flying from bham to houston i thought i could wait to get the airport but it took a long time to get off the plane and than i started to run to the bathroom, it is not a good idea to run when you are about to pee your pants! I made it thank God I would had hated to hace to finish my flight to phoenix with wet pants LOL! Happy easter to you. Glad you had a great time in Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha just another conversation about bodily functions!

    i have personally begun to opt for aisle seats because i would very likely sit in my seat until my bladder literally exploded as opposed to waking someone up when they're sleeping(because i myself hate so much to be woken up). i just dont like being cramped up by the window. and, from the aisle you can semi see out of both windows in case the view out one side is better than the other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Window is my favorite; unless Maria wants the window, then aisle is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll put my vote in for window - granted, I don't leave the East Coast / South all that much, and I can't think of the last time a flight was more than 4 hours, so you've got a good point there. I like how Southwest lets you pick your seat on the plane, so if you don't foresee the need for a bathroom break when you're getting on the plane, grab the window.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Window...you can lean on it, look outside and avoid aisle traffic bumps. (Shoulder bags swinging into your head.) In the event of a delayed bathroom visit, I would much rather climb over someone else than have someone who has waited too long climb over me! Just saying.....

    ReplyDelete