Friday, January 28, 2011

Are we humans, or are we denser?

Last night I experienced the infamous part of the Spanish nightlife culture -- la discoteca. When we found flyers for free admission (which usually costs 20 euros) and a free drink (12 euros), chicas only of course, in the metro station, we knew it was the night to hit up Teatro Kapital.

The view from the first floor of Kapital. On the left you can see the balconies going up -- each one is a floor. On the right you can see one of the little pods for dancing (we were unsuccessful is figuring out how to get to one of those). The stage is in the front, with the stripper-esque dancers, though you can't see them very well.

Kapital is a massive discoteca that has seven floors, each with a different type of music and theme. The general layout is:

First floor: The main dance floor (Huge stage with scantily clad models, strobe lights, crazy music)
Second floor: Coat check and bathrooms (longest line of my lifeeee)
Third floor: Karaoke bar (where I got the inspiration for the blog title, they have a little trouble translating some songs into English)
Fourth floor: Rap dance floor (you can listen to "black music" and get "funky")
Fifth floor: Cocktail bar with seats to relax and talk
Sixth floor: Random music
Seventh floor: Chill out zone  (palm trees and pool tables were interspersed among canopy couches)

There's also a section of the roof that is open in the summer, and yes, it advertises a "mountain of beds, tables, and seats."  Since people eat dinner so late, they don't start going out until around midnight, and bars stay open until 6 a.m. (which is also conveniently when the Metro opens, so our goal was to stay out that late to save $$ on our ride home.) It's krazy!

Overall, I had a lot of fun, and I'm glad I went to see it, but I doubt I'll go back. Kapital is a super famous tourist attraction, so there were a lot of Americans.  And 20 euros is a pretty steep price if we hadn't had those free passes. So far I prefer the smaller bars and such that have more local flavor. I like places that are conducive to talking so I can practice mi español. Tonight I'm going to explore Chueca -- the gay neighborhood that supposedly has great food, cheap prices, and lots of cool hang outs.

No comments:

Post a Comment