Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Mi Madre en Espana

Mi familia -- Mercedes y Katie

Mercedes is my spanish "mother." In many ways, she does act as my mother. I live in her apartment; she cooks all my meals; she worries about me going running by myself; she does my laundry.  We've been bonding a lot and growing closer lately, which I'm really happy about. 

She lives here by herself, as she is divorced from her husband. The other night at dinner I asked her about her ex, and her response somewhat surprised me. She said she barely ever talks to him, but she has no harsh feelings. "We spent many happy years together, and I am happy now, too. I like living by myself. I don't want a husband or even a boyfriend."

I had sort of assumed she would want a boyfriend, but once we started talking, I realized she has a completely different perspective. She said after years of spending her life focused on other people (her children and her husband), she likes being able to focus on herself. She can do whatever she wants, whenever she wants. "If I'm ever bored, I can always go to my brother and sisters' houses," she said. 

She has students staying with her from September to July.  "The month when no one is here is the best of the year. I can just leave and do anything!" she told me.  It was then that I realized she is a perfect example of una mujer independiente. 

3 comments:

  1. Yes. As another "una mujer independiente", we do exist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True that. And we are going to go on an amazing mujeres independientes adventure in April! YAYY :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sad she's not wearing her american murder shirt...but she sounds so great! reminds me of our long talks about independence during our runs haha

    ReplyDelete