Saturday, January 22, 2011

Milk & Cookies

Very weird thing about the milk here -- they don't refrigerate it! My madre has boxes just stacked up, chillin in the kitchen. Well not chillin actually. There are just sitting at room temperature! My teacher tried to explain it to me, but I didn't understand. I think it's something to do with their different pasteurization process here? But after the boxes are opened, then you have to put them in the fridge. It's bizarre. But it tastes fine!

What did not taste fine though was when she gave us whole milk with our cereal the first morning. She said, "You are young, so I thought this kind was more comfortable for you." Say whatt?????

In addition to non-refrigerated milk, she also sometimes gives me cookies for breakfast! They are like EL Fudge cookies with two wafers and chocolate in the middle.  But when she offers me dessert at lunch and dinner, she gives me yogurt. So opposite of what I normally do!

I discovered the other day that they are actually "digestive" cookies, which according to Wikipedia means they are believed to have antacid properties due to their use of sodium bicarbonate when they were developed. Apparently they don't use high fructose corn syrup, so that's awesome. Sorry for the food chemistry lesson; I thought it was interesting.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting! Maybe you should get that recipe! Yogurt is supposed to be good for your digestive system too, so it sounds like she is taking care of you:)

    ReplyDelete