Sunday, January 30, 2011

El Rastro


This morning I got in touch with my "Dolbow woman" side and went to a giant flea market known as "El Rastro" to search for some bargains.  El Rastro is held every Sunday from around 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. in a few streets near the center of Madrid. 

It seems like more than just a few streets when you are inside though. I spent hours stumbling through what felt like a never-ending sea of stands and Spaniards. It's best to go early because by 11 a.m. the streets are literally packed with people. 

My mission was to find cheap scarves, but the real challenge turned out to be deciding which ones to buy. There were so many! I also splurged on some goofy ear-warmers, which was likely influenced by the freezing weather. They sell a huge assortment of things from purses, shoes, jewelry and jackets to keychains, pans, books, and memory sticks. There are a bunch of antique stores around, also. In the words of Mercedes, "If you're looking for something to buy, and you can't find it at El Rastro, you won't be able to find it anywhere."

Pickpockets are notorious there, so I only brought a small amount of cash and kept everything zipped up in my pockets at all times. There were lots of people walking around with bookbags on backwards, so they could pile in all their purchases and still keep an eye on them. I'm happy to report I arrived back home without having anything stolen.

This image is overwhelming, but I think it helps communicate what the experience of going to El Rastro feels like.

I think this is a wonderful Sunday tradition, and I'll definitely be returning on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment