Saturday, January 15, 2011

Hola Espana :)

I successfully made it to Spain with underwear AND socks, which is a huge accomplishment for me.  I also made it back to the apartment after venturing out to go find shampoo this afternoon, so big successes all around. Only slight fail was that Katie and I could not figure out how to unlock the door... but I think we've got it down now.

The flight over went well. A few other girls on my program and I flew over together and sat in the same row, so that was fun. I only actually slept for six full Darius Rucker songs, despite my attempts to sleep for a few hours. At least I got some deep back and neck stretches in as a pretzeled my body into various positions.

I absolutely love the apartment I'm living in. Another girl from Vanderbilt (the above mentioned Katie) lives in the apartment as well, but we have separate bedrooms. I wasn't expecting to get a single, so I'm excited about that. It will be nice to have my own space. I'm trying to upload pictures of my room/afternoon excursion, but I can't figure out how to do it from my camera.  Probably because I'm too delirious from jet lag. Maybe I'll get em up tomorrow.

Our madre, Mercedes, is awesome. She is super energetic and fun. Today she asked us if we liked bread, and when we said yes, she put on her coat immediately and went out to go buy us some. Total sweetheart. She doesn't know how to speak English at all, even though she has hosted exchange students for the past six years. She's definitely going to help me improve my Spanish. And her food has been delicioso thus far. Her 2-year-old grandson is spending the night tonight. Also, her sister lives downstairs and is constantly coming up to the apartment and hanging out. The two are a very entertaining duo.  (Almost as entertaining as Stephen and I will be when we live next to each other, right broski?)

My other favorite thing about Mercedes is that she left a pitcher of water in my room, so I get nonstop, convenient refills on my agua!

Alright, time to attempt a nap, round two. I can't believe I'm actually here... it's all so exciting it overwhelms me!

2 comments:

  1. What FUN!!!! I know you are going to have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. loveeee this! :) ps im reading little bee now too!

    ReplyDelete