Wednesday, January 19, 2011

No comprendo

Being in a foreign country, it's inevitable there will be lots of things going on that I don't understand.  Here's a list of a few things in Spain that have me completely bemuddled:

-Why has my madre has been wearing a t-shirt that says "MURDER" across the front every single day since I got here?
-Why is the doorman in my building sometimes wearing sweats and sometimes wearing a tux?
-Why was I passed by a motorcycle on the sidewalk this morning?
-How can I buy things from the vending machine when I don't have exact change?
-How do I close the blinds in my room?
-Why am I eating fudge cookies for breakfast?
-How do I turn down the volume on my Spanish cell phone?
-Why are the bananas so green?
-Why doesn't anyone smile back at me on the streets?
-Where exactly are the running trails in Parque del Oeste?
-What was my madre's sister talking about when she told me Spain was a "democracia-Barbie"?

If anyone knows the answers to these questions, I would much appreciate it.

4 comments:

  1. I think the green bananas are plantains! haha maybe...they had those in Costa Rica :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahaha i just died from these. the madre's "Murder" shirt is the best one.

    (its Erin)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some possible answers to your questions:
    1. Your spanish cell phone is a base model that does not include the volume up/down feature?
    2. The motorcycle passed you on the sidewalk because you were not moving fast enough?
    3. Your madre has worn her MURDER t-shirt every day because her TORTURE t-shirt is dirty?

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are no laws in Europe about bikes (or motorcycles) not driving on the sidewalk....Bikes Rule!

    Keep and eye on the madre....she may be on a lifetime movie when you get home and definitely turn off the lights if she tells you to!

    Hmmm....Barbie Democracy.....sounds like cute american blondes rule.

    ReplyDelete