Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Don't forget your manners

... I seriously hope I don't forget mine over here. Spanish etiquette is slightly different than what they teach in American cotillion.  Here are a few places I've noticed cultural differences:

The Street
  • No one smiles as they pass by. I might as well have "AMERICAN" stamped across my forehead as I grin at every person I make eye contact with.
  • Public displays of affection -- I know college kids are into DFMOs (dance floor make outs) but Spanish jovenes seem be into EWMOs (everywhere make outs, ew).
  • No one says excuse me when they bump into you in the street. They also make no effort to move if they see you coming in the same direction. Once again, my American-ness oozes out of me as I apologize, "Lo siento, lo siento" each time I tap someone. 
The Dinner Table
  • When people call Mercedes during dinner, she sits at the table and keeps talking. I thought we were just boring her, but I learned in class that here it is considered rude to get off the phone because you're eating. You're supposed to just tell the other people you are having cena and hope the conversation is short.
  • It's also pretty rare to have friends over for dinner. The house is considered a very private place, mostly restricted to family. If you are at a friends house and their parents invite you to dinner, you are supposed to refuse, even if they insist, according to my teacher.
Restaurants
  • "Please" and "thank you" are not part of the out to eat vocabulary here. You just give waiters commands like "give me a coffee" or "bring me a tortilla."
  • Tips are also not the norm. At nicer places or to reward exceptional service, a tip of around 5% (or higher depending on the place) can be given, but tips are not necessary or implied the way they are in the US.
It's interesting because while some of this may come off as rude at first, it's just different over here. I don't know if I should adapt to all of their norms or keep some of my American ways while I'm here. I personally think it's nice to smile at people in the streets, but I hope I'm not annoying los españoles!

2 comments:

  1. Whenever I'm in a Spanish-speaking setting, "lo siento" becomes my most used word, but I think it's usually just me apologizing for my lousy Spanish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i had the exact same debate with myself in copenhagen! do i become our version of rude/unfriendly to be more like them? i think i just kept smiling/saying please and thank you because its just so ingrained. good thing we dont live in spain-it'd be so sad to never be able to have each other over for dinner!

    ReplyDelete