Saturday, January 29, 2011

Put a smile on your face

Epiphany of today: Facial expressions are universal. (As are parking tickets, I also just noticed.)

Sometimes when Mercedes talks really fast and I can't understand her, I just look at her facial expressions to figure out how I should respond. When she's smiling and happy, I smile back and say, "que bueno!" But if she's shaking her head and doing her mad face, I frown and say, "que mal!"

As I was doing this at lunch, I realized.. it's pretty cool how a smile can cross all language barriers. I wonder if there's some biological reason we just smile when we are happy, or if every single culture just learns the same way to express happiness.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not totally sure but I think....there are chemicals in our brain that stimulate the muscles in our faces to make expressions....including laughing. But definitely food for thought.

    ReplyDelete