Friday, February 4, 2011

The Art of Layering

When people told me to pack layers, I thought the reason was to take up less room in my suitcase. (Share clothes between winter and spring, right?)  Little did I know, each of those layers was going to be a necessity in my classroom -- it's absolutely freezing! It has a functioning heater, but you wouldn't know it if you stepped inside.

Honestly, I could wear the same thing to class everyday and no one would know because I never take off my big coat. Or my gloves for that matter. (Thank you Daddy for the fingerless gloves.. turned out to be more useful that you realized. Forget texting, I need them to stay warm while I write!) The whole class just sits around, fully cloaked and still shivering.

I'm learning a lot about how to stay insulated though. I've started wearing leggings under my jeans, and a cami under every shirt. Scarves are essential, too. I put my Patagonia on under my peacoat, real gloves over my fingerless gloves.. and then I'm ready to go.

I feel colder sitting in class than I do on the walk over. It's actually beautiful outside today -- sunny and mid-50s (which is around 12 degrees Celsius).  Yet I didn't shed my coat even for a second in class this morning.  Hopefully the warmer weather is here to stay, and I can only hope that eventually the sun start heating up my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment