Friday, February 18, 2011

Travel Tips

I'm currently sitting on a bus to Barcelona with a few of my friends.. Super exhausted after only three hours of sleep.

And thus begin my weekends of real-life traveling! (Aka organized by me, not the Vandy-in-Spain program) Here are a few tips I've gathered my experiences planning my European travels:

Flights: Don't get too wrapped into the "super-cheap" airline offers. Yes, RyanAir offers very low prices, but they also have surprise fees at the end. And sometime they fly you into airport that aren't ACTUALLY in the city they say. For example, we are currently flying to Girona, which RyanAir called the same thing as Barcelona... but it's actually an hour bus ride away. Thanks dudes. Other random advice -- don't forget about conversions from Euros to US dollars, and watch out for extra luggage charges.

Hostels: If you have a question, just e-mail the hostel! My interactions with staff have been super-friendly. The hostel we are currently going to said it was totally full Saturday night, but when I e-mailed them, they were able to get me a bed for just 19 euros. Also, you can save on service fees if you book directly from the hostel instead of through some general hostel hunter website.

Food: My friends and I are becoming masters of eating as cheaply as possible. Get your madre to pack you a big lunch, and bring a purse to breakfast buffets to swipe as much as possible. When in Spain, maximize on tapas at all times. Our other new idea -- split a giant baguette and a jar of nutella for lunches.

Overall, traveling is not as cheap as it originally seems... but I think all of my journeys will be great experiences to see the world and to make memories. Bon Voyage!

No comments:

Post a Comment