Thursday, February 10, 2011

Watch Yo Back, Seriously

Pickpockets are an inevitable topic of concern when traveling to Spain. Barcelona is supposedly the pickpocket capital of the world, but Madrid has its fair share of tricky thieves also, as I was unfortunately reminded by my roommate last night.

Yesterday on a crowded metro, a man casually bumped into her. She didn't even notice, but he swiped her wallet, which contained some cash, her unlimited metro pass, her school ID, and the keys to our apartment. We had to get the locks on our apartment changed last night... probably the worst part because it was expensive :(

This experience was a lesson for me that you can never be too careful. I've heard a few tips from people to avoid robberies -- keep your bag zipped and in front of you at all times (cross-bodies are the best); only carry around small amounts of cash; keep your keys separated from your money; stay alert at all times.

I'm really hoping that I don't get pick-pocketed during my time abroad, or ever really. Now I keep checking my purse every five minutes to make sure I have everything. I just have to keep telling myself -- you can never let your guard down. Not even for a second.

5 comments:

  1. Creeps. yes Laura always be on the lookout, Creeps are all around. Keep your keys between your fingers and if someone bumps into you stab them in the eye or neck!! i think i watch too many charles branson movies LOL. God protect you and keep you and your things safe. Love you AD2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another way to deter pickpockets is to travel with Aunt Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am opting for a backpack worn on the front with steel wire mesh in the fabric and straps with locking zippers. I hope it works and no one steals my bottle of water and maps. Because I'll have no money by the time i pay for the backpack!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you sound so intense in this post laura haha. "not even for a second" not that i dont agree that its a good call!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true Mom. Wish I had you here to protect me AD2 or to share that bookbag Aunt Jan. And Bit Bit, I am intense! Hahahhaha love all of yall so much!

    ReplyDelete