Monday, February 7, 2011

Flamenco in the caves!

Last night we headed over to the gypsy neighborhood to watch a flamenco show in las cuevas.

Supposedly the place was authentic and not laden with tourists, but I seriously doubted that as a busload of asians followed us americanos into the cave. (And yes, the asians blatantly took pictures of ME before the show... Apparently my blonde hair/blue eyes combo is scrapbook-worthy.) Fun fact -- It was also the same place Michelle Obama went to flamenco when she visited Spain.

Anyways, flamenco is a southern Spanish dance associated with los gitanos (the gypsies), and it's really fun to watch!

The passionate dancers stomped their feet, moved their arms, and shook their hips to music sung by a chief man sitting at the front of the cave. I don't know how the women don't break their ankles in their heels.

We embraced the Spanish culture, yelling "guapa" (beauty) at all the dancers and clapping along. I tried to take a picture to capture the energy and happiness, but action shots are hard, so I just gave up and enjoyed the show. Here's the best I got..

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

2 comments:

  1. Soooo cool! I would love to go there too! So glad you posted the picture:)
    P.S. I'm glad your pretty blue eyes will be featured in some other scrapbooks around the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asians creeping hard, then again when we were in Hawaii there was a bit of a role reversal on our trip

    ReplyDelete