Monday, February 14, 2011

Wanted: Soccer Lessons

Today I started volunteering at a bilingual elementary school to help Spanish kids with their English. When I signed up, they really needed volunteers for after-school fútbol (which means soccer here). Despite my lack of experience... and hand-eye coordination... it's for the little kids, so I figured I could handle that. Surely they'd just be running around aimlessly trying to kick the ball.

Clearly I forgot I am in SPAIN during that train of thought. When it comes to soccer, these little guys don't mess around. These future World Cup contenders are intense. I actually considered turning around and leaving as Javi immediately took off dribbling the ball and Roberto sprinted in for a steal.  Two minutes later Wally was running around screaming "GOLLLLL," and I was seriously concerned the boys were going to start boo-ing when I got put on their team.

As I scrambled around trying to keep up with the seven-year-olds, I pondered how it is possible that I am related to Emily Menotti. But my pathetic efforts paid off... I finally managed to steal the ball from Dido -- the fat kid with a rat tail and fluorescent orange sneakers, earning me a "GOOD JOB LAURA!" from the coach. (He clearly felt bad for me. Anyone watching would have.)

I was able to help them recite scores in English though, and I taught a few boys how to say "high-five." They seem pretty enthusiastic about having a buddy to practice English with... so I'm hoping that will distract them from my complete lack of coordination and keep me from being the last kid left every time we pick teams.

If anyone has any advice or tips on how to play soccer, I would be very, very grateful. I'm going to be playing every Monday, so who knows, maybe I'll return to America with some skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment