Friday, February 11, 2011

Nerd Alert: Science and books on the weekend

Having Fridays free of classes has not stopped me from embracing my nerdy nature. I woke up early this morning and proceeded to explore some places around Madrid to cater to my interests in science and books.

First stop was the Museo de las Ciencias Naturales (Natural Science Museum). They had a lot of stuffed animals, artifacts, and information on all things natural. I felt a little weird as I was surrounded by elementary school students on field trips, but I thought it was cool! My favorite thing I saw was a GIANT octopus that weighs 500 kg (aka 1,102 pounds):

El calamar gigante -- massive octopus. They had this reproduction and also a real one preserved in some weird liquid. 

After my science sesh, I went over to check out the national library. I thought the building wasn't open to the public, but to my pleasant surprise there was a museum inside! And it was FREE.

La Biblioteca Nacional

Then the surprise got even better because the temporary exhibit was all about cooking and food! My favorite topic! So I got to see a bunch of cookbooks, recipes, advertisements, photographs, and even cooking appliances to illustrate the history of Spain. It was awesome.

After that, I strolled around the ritzy streets of the Salamanca neighborhood. Did some window shopping and lamented about my lack of dinero. It's a gorgeous day here in Madrid. I'm really loving the sunny, mid-50's weather we've been having. Hope it's here to stay!

2 comments:

  1. Wow that sounds like a great day of new adventures, Did you do all this by your self? I am just so thrilled that you are blessed to have the chance to do all these exciting things. Hope your weekend is even more exciting! Love you AD2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Put this on our itinerary Laurita! I would love to see the cooking exhibit.

    ReplyDelete