Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Croquetas!

When someone asks you what your favorite type of croquetas are, the correct response is: "The kind my mother makes."

Because every Spanish mother makes them, and each makes them her own special way. Just like paella, there are a million different recipes for croquetas. They can be made with ham, tuna, chicken -- any type of meat, as long as it's minced.  The meat is added to any combination of vegetables, milk, onion, beer, wine, bread or spices. The common denominator is that they are all covered with breadcrumbs and then deep-fried.  Think crab cakes, but with ham and more dough. They come in varying sizes too -- from the giant balls at El Tigre to the more manageable cylinders in my house.


My madre makes her croquetas with ham and eggs. They are, of course, my favorites.

The result: crunchy deliciousness. (The term "croqueta" actually comes from the French verb "croquer," which means to crunch.) Croquetas are an extremely popular tapas dish in Spain, though they can be eaten as a main dish or a side also. In mi casa, they are typically served alongside soup or stew.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I'm glad you have a spanish "mother" so you can answer the question correctly! I have never made a croquette, but here in the south I the squash croquettes are very yummy!

    ReplyDelete