Sunday, February 13, 2011

Los Chinos

If you think the title of this post sounds racist, that's because it kind of is. Chino = Chinese. And it's a term commonly thrown out around the streets of Madrid thanks to the influx of asian immigrants over the past few years.

Today I set out in search of a chino. But I didn't want an actual Chinese person -- I needed a notebook for school tomorrow.

Specifically, "chinos" refer to little stores run by Chinese people that carry every random knick knack you could think of, and the prices are dirt cheap. The main attraction -- the Chinese do not share the same work ethic as the Spaniards (aka they don't siesta for two hours every day and they work on weekends), so they are open all day, every day.

Another major bonus -- they have notebooks with lined paper. Almost every notebook here contains grid paper. I don't understand how it doesn't annoy them to write over the grids for their classes, but Spanish students seem to think that's fine. I am not adapting to that custom, and I am very thankful the Chinese residents of Spain could provide me with more legible writing material.

When I first heard the chinos references, I thought they seemed a little jarring. But the stereotype is not intended in a malicious way. The Spaniards love the chinos -- they give them even more time to siesta!

No comments:

Post a Comment